Saturday, March 3, 2012

Butternut Squash Breakfast Burritos


I was looking for a healthy alternative to grabbing breakfast at Starbucks before I went to work in the morning, so I put all the flavors that I love into one convenient, easy to heat, and easy to eat package. 

I just started working at a fast-paced start-up, here in the Bay Area, and I wanted something that would fill me up through long experiments and provide a good balance of carbs and protein. 

1) I threw some potatoes roughly cubed into a non-stick pan with shredded carrots and about a tablespoon of olive oil.



 2) On medium heat I browned the 1 large russet potatoe and warmed the 1/4 shredded carrots from the Trader Joes salad section. I prefer the carrot strings because they're versatile and add a nice color!



3) Who doesn't love chopped green onion?? 1 to 2 bunches does the trick - this is kind of up to you, a sweet yellow onion or caramelized white onion would also work well here. 


4) I like to switch things up when I'm in the kitchen: aka - I look what is around and kinda throw it in if I think it'll taste good - here come the  1/2 cup mushrooms ( 6-9 medium sized baby bellas )! 


5) The best "mistake" of all was adding the butternut squash which I had frozen down a week before after making a lovely roasted side dish. These were the cubes that were not previously cooked - they store well in a ziploc in the freezer for when you need some butternut squash ASAP.













6) After browning the potatoes and cooking down the onions a little, I added 2 cups of water with one chicken bullion cube from Knox to the mix, and cooked everything until the moisture was cooked off and the bullion was absorbed into the veggies. To this mix I also added a couple dashes of cayenne pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, a bay leaf, and 2 chopped cloves of garlic.


7) this is what it looks when things are still a bit raw- You want to take care not to overcook your veggies because if you're like me, you will be warming these things in the microwave - leaving a little bite to them will make them perfect when you heat them up.



 8) You have two options here, you can whip the 6 extra large eggs with a splash of milk and add them to the mixture, or you can cook the eggs separately and then mix everything together before putting the filling in the burrito. I prefer to add the eggs to a hot pan and cook them separately - it makes for the fluffiest eggs.











9) Scramble the eggs up until they are *just* about cooked- ie. mostly fluffy and cooked with just a little wetness to the eggs. Turn off and remove from heat. Sprinkle the eggs with your favorite cheese. I prefer some aged cheddar or a little bit of parmesan.


10) Mix in the veggies and fill a medium sized flour tortilla. Wrap the burrito in parchment paper and keep in the fridge or freezer. When you heat up the burrito ( about 2 min the the microwave ) keep it in the parchment paper. Your burrito will come out perfectly cooked, and the tortilla will be soft and delicious! The parchment works perfectly to seal in the vapors and keep the eggs moist - it also makes it easier to grab and go in the morning!

Ta da! What do you like to put in your breakfast burritos? 

No comments:

Post a Comment