Friday, June 10, 2011

Farmers Market Pictures / Tomato Glory


It's the season for farmers markets, sun dresses, and strawberries!

What kinds of herbs do you plant this season? I've been thinking of thai basil and tomatoes. My obsession with pho has returned and I would like to have my own side of veggies to add to the steaming pot of sumptuous broth!                                   


Rosemary is a good standby for those of us who are overzealous about watering - and perhaps a little slow when it comes to figuring out how much sun certain plants need... ( that wouldn't be me... right?)                                                                          

I've been thinking about Jalapeno's or some other chili as I hear they are easy to grow... anyone have suggestions out there?

These glistening gems of goodness were  thrown into the broiler for a couple minutes, and then were carefully placed on top of handmade lobster ravioli. ( Recipe to come ) :) They pop delightfully, spilling sweet juice and pulp in your mouth when you bite down. I like to add them to my white sauce recipes so that you can have the best of both worlds, eating pasta with a white base and with tomato.

It nearly made me want to try an interesting technique from Italy where the tomatoes are picked and then woven into a braid of sorts. The tomatoes are then smoked while on the vine, and then are preserved so they can be used for months and months later. I will probably give this a shot the next time I go because I hear it makes the best pasta sauce.


 Here's a teaser of the strawberries that I made into a triple berry trifle. Homemade  jam with a vanilla and burbon reduction, layered with fresh fruit and scented cream...mmm! I made fresh pound cake to crumble between the layers. Delish!

2 comments:

  1. I miss living with you and your creativity! You've inspired me to start cooking for fun again :)

    ReplyDelete